“We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness.” -The Declaration of Independence
I love the 4th of July. Not because of the barbeque, or the fireworks, or because it’s an excuse to obnoxiously sing country songs (I do that year round…). No, I love the 4th of July because I love America and I love history and I have a hefty student loan payment to prove that!
4th of July in my family has always been low-key and simple- just family, bbq, swimming, fireworks and I usually make a dessert. Last year I made a giant s’more. Literally, a giant s’more with a graham cracker base, fudgy center and a homemade marshmallow top. It was tasty but semi-time consuming to make and it made a big mess. This year, I went simple.
4th of July Popcorn Party Mix is perfect for a 4th of July party. What can be bad about chocolate covered popcorn?! It’s super easy and the best part is that you can add to it whatever you want. I kept it easy with M&Ms and mini marshmallows but pretzels or even Oreo pieces would be a nice addition. If you need a last minute, tasty treat to bring to your bbq, look no further! How do you spend your 4th of July holiday?
P.S. I love history so much that I secretly hope to one day be the drunk person on this show, Drunk History. Soooo funny!!
- Natural popcorn (no butter)
- 2 bags white chocolate chips
- 4 tbls milk or heavy cream
- Blue and Red M&Ms
- Mini Marshmallows
- Red and Blue food dye
- Make popcorn according to directions. Let cool on wax paper.
- To make the chocolate coating, in empty one bag of white chocolate chips into a medium saucepan with 2 tbls. milk.
- Continually stir until melted and add blue food coloring until it is the color your desire.
- Drizzle over popcorn.
- In another saucepan, empty the other bag of white chocolate chips with the remaining 2 tbls milk.
- Continually stir until melted and add red food coloring. (Make sure it’s really red because it dries lighter. Case in point, mine looks a little pink!)
- Drizzle over popcorn and let cool.
- Once chocolate is dried, place the popcorn in a bowl and add the M&Ms and marshmallows. Stir and enjoy!