A couple of years ago for Christmas I received an adorable Cupcake Calendar. It was one of those daily desk calendars, and each day had a new cupcake recipe. The whole year I saved each recipe that caught my interest, with every intention of making them throughout the year. As you can probably guess, I now have an envelope full of recipes that have never been made. I decided it was time to change that.
Now, we’re all about pumpkin over here, but let’s not forget about the other big fall flavor: apple! Apple picking and making fresh pressed cider is one of my favorite fall traditions and I was so sad to have missed it this year. Luckily there’s been a pretty good selection of apples in the grocery store lately and I had to get my apple fix that way.
These were originally called cupcakes, but to me cupcakes require frosting. And since I was devouring these daily for breakfast, I’m renaming them muffins. They’re made with applesauce (which eliminates the need for oil), have diced apples within, and are topped with more apple slices. See…totally healthy! Add in the cinnamon, nutmeg and pecans and you’ve got a perfect fall muffin that will make you say “pumpkin spice what??”.
Jk. I’ll never get over my PSL addiction. But lucky for you, you don’t have to choose between just one favorite fall flavor! If you’re like me and can’t (or shouldn’t…) eat an entire dozen muffins quickly, these also freeze great. Because sooner than we know it, fall will be over and the dark days of winter will be here. I can tell you right now, these apple cinnamon muffins will transport you back to those perfect fall days of crunchy leaves and crisp mornings every time you take a bite of one.
Cinnamon Applesauce Muffins (adapted from 500 Cupcakes)
- 1 c flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 c butter, softened
- 1/2 c sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 c unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 c chopped pecans
- 2 small sweet apples, peeled, one diced and one thinly sliced
- coarse sugar (optional)
- In small mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Set aside.
- Cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Add in eggs, applesauce and vanilla. Beat another minute.
- Slowly add dry ingredients into wet, stirring until combined.
- By hand, mix in pecans and diced apples.
- Spoon batter into a lined muffin pan. Lay apple slices over the top of each muffin. Sprinkle lightly with more cinnamon and coarse sugar (optional).
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.
- Let cool completely before eating. Store in an airtight container.
- Can be frozen in airtight container or bag up to 3 months.