While Steph was relaxing in Cabo and surviving a hurricane (check it our here!), I was drowning my twinge of jealousy that I wasn’t relaxing on a beach in Mexico with her in these Applesauce Cupcakes w/Cinnamon Buttercream. Because, come on, who doesn’t drown their emotions in baked goods especially ones that have been described as “Fall in a cupcake!”
This recipe is from my Aunt Paula and in our family, this Applesauce cake makes an appearance at every Thanksgiving and/or Christmas. It’s usually made in a bundt pan with a vanilla glaze and is quite possibly the most moist cake I have ever had. And, let me tell you a secret, it’s made from a box!
Ok, so the base is a boxed cake but my aunt doctored it up a bit. The sour cream keeps it moist and applesauce gives it that Fall flavor that we love. Coupled with the Cinnamon Buttercream from Monday and you have a dessert that will not last long! The best part is that this recipe so versatile. Last year I adapted the cake to make a Pumpkin Spice Cake which would also go great with this frosting!
So if you are in the mood for a Fall treat and want a dessert that will impress, this is the one for you! You won’t be disappointed! Enjoy 🙂
- One box yellow cake mix (with pudding included)
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 cup Applesauce
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a muffin pan.
- Blend all ingredients in larger mixing bowl and mix until incorporated.
- Fill muffin tins about 3/4 full and bake for 18-2o minutes. Makes about 18 cupcakes.
- Let cupcakes cool completely. Frost with Cinnamon Buttercream. Recipe found here!
- Share with others and enjoy the Fall season!