Well I guess Stephanie and I are both in a lemon and fruit mood. Steph posted the most amazing Fresh Lemon Strawberry Muffins on Monday and today I bring you Blueberry Scones with a Lemon Glaze. If you couldn’t tell, we are both looking forward to warmer, spring-ier weather!
I’ve tried make scones twice before and both times it was an epic fail. The first time I made blueberry scones I used whole wheat flour. Big mistake. Not good. It was one of those scones that you kept picking at thinking you were going to like but then the after taste kicked in and it was like nope, these are not going to cut it. Into the trash they went.
The second time I tried making scones, I decided to adapt a recipe and make banana scones. First, it’s hard to adapt a recipe without first making it correctly so you know what to adapt. And second, I made banana scones. Yes, banana scones. I know, you are probably thinking banana scones aren’t even a thing but I was craving something with banana flavor but didn’t want banana bread. So, I decided to make banana scones instead. Yes, you are correct, it was a fail. Of course, if I added a heaping spoonful of Nutella it definitely would have salvaged them… 🙂
The third time I tried making scones- success! I guess third time’s a charm is really true. At least for my baking adventures with scones. I’ve been dying to try these Petite Vanilla Bean Scones from The Pioneer Woman since I saw her bake them on her show. She tried replicating the vanilla bean scones from Starbucks and I absolutely love those scones!
Contrary to my statement above that I should not adapt recipes without trying the original recipe as is, I did not have vanilla beans so I had to. And, I added blueberries. But other than that, the recipe stays the same. Well, except for the glaze. I adapted the glaze to make it a lemon glaze. But that’s it! One day I will try with the vanilla beans because there is nothing like pure vanilla. Until then, these are scone that will definitely be made again. Hope you enjoy 🙂
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (sifted)
- 2/3 cups sugar
- 5 tsp. baking powder
- 2 sticks cold butter (cut into tiny chunks)
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2/3 cup cream (may need additional)
- 1 cup blueberries
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add dry ingredients to a bowl. Using your hands (I don’t have a pastry cutter but if you have one, you can use that), mix the cold butter into the dry ingredients until crumb like and moist.
- Mix in egg, vanilla and cream until a dough is formed. Add blueberries.
- Transfer dough to a floured surface. And use a rolling pin to roll into a rectangle about 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut dough into 6 rectangles. Then again into 12 triangles. (24 triangles if you want them mini)
- Place on baking and bake for 16-18 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool before glazing.
For the glaze: Mix together 5 cups powdered sugar, the juice of 2 lemons, 1/2 tsp. vanilla and 1/2 cup milk. Dip scones into glaze and let set. Enjoy!