Brown Bread is a traditional Irish bread made with buttermilk and whole wheat flour. It’s dense and actually pretty bland. But with butter and jam… delish! Specifically Irish Kerrygold Butter. I’m clearly about all things Irish over here 🙂
This past weekend my cousin and I showed our family some of our 850+ pictures of our trip to Ireland. It left me homesick for Killarney and Galway and Dublin. I was glad I had a homemade loaf of Brown Bread to take me back… if only for a few minutes 🙂 Hope you enjoy!
Ingredients: (from Food & Wine)
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees and butter or spray a loaf pan.
- In one bowl combine dry ingredients.
- In separate bowl, whisk egg and buttermilk. Slowly incorporate into dry ingredients until dough forms. You may need additional buttermilk if dough is too dry.
- Slightly knead dough in bowl and transfer to buttered pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Enjoy with butter and jam!