I need chocolate. Badly. And by need I mean I’ve been scrounging through cupboards, looking for lost gems hidden away for days just like today. Sadly…none to be found. I finished off some spice cake, straight from the pan with a fork, while I thought through my options.
The easy quick fixes, like no bakes or boxed brownies, just didn’t seem like they would cut it. I needed something more. -Sidenote- I was never allowed to make no bake cookies when I was younger. My dad said something along the lines of it wasn’t real baking, those were for children, I needed to make something more mature, etc., etc. etc. I suppose a thank you is in order…although it still seems like a harsh rule…
But back to the dilemma at hand. I just wanted something chocolate. With chocolate in it. Covered in chocolate. And a big glass of red wine to go with it. (Admit it…we’ve all been here). I hopped on over to one of my favorite blogs, The Brown Eyed Baker, on a mission to find what I was looking for. And boy did I find it! Her Ultimate Chocolate Cupcakes had everything I wanted: a chocolate cake, with chocolate frosting, and even chocolate ganache inside! I was in heaven.
Sadly I was really making the cupcakes for a birthday, so I couldn’t devour the whole dozen by myself. However I did end up with some leftover frosting I may or may not have been eating with a spoon the past few days…ssshhhh. These were the perfect chocolate-chocolate combination cupcakes and I will definitely be making them again!
Ultimate Chocolate Cupcakes
For Ganache Filling:
- 2 oz bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar
- 3 oz bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup hot coffee
- 3/4 cup bread flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 6 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 8 oz chocolate (I used milk…but any kind will do) melted and cooled
- Make the ganache filling by putting chopped chocolate, cream, and powdered sugar into bowl. heat in microwave until mixture is warm, about 20-30 seconds. Whisk until smooth then place in refrigerator until cooled (about 30 min)
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 350 degrees. Line your baking pan with muffin tins
- Place chopped chocolate and cocoa powder into bowl. Pour hot coffee over and whisk until smooth. Refrigerate about 20 min
- Mix dry ingredients in separate bowl
- Take chocolate/coffee mixture out of fridge, and whisk in oil, eggs, vinegar, and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Divide batter evenly into muffin tins. Place one teaspoon-ish dollop of ganache filling on each cupcake. Bake about 17-19 minutes, or until toothpick comes out cleanly from the center. Cool on wire rack before frosting.
- To make the frosting, blend butter, sugar, cocoa, and salt until smooth. Add corn syrup and vanilla extract, mixing until just combined. Add chocolate and pulse until smooth and creamy. Frost cupcakes as desired.
Original recipe from The Brown Eyed Baker