Circus Animal cookies remind me of childhood, almost as much as Dunk-A-Roos, Squeeze-Its, Cookie Crisp cereal, Lisa Frank, Power Rangers, Legends of the Hidden Temple and Captain Planet. Can these things please come back!?! #weusedtothinksqueezeitsmadeusdrunk #teampinkranger #captainplanethesourhero #cookiesforbreakfast #90skid
Sorry for the hashtags. I have more but don’t want to get carried away…
The funny thing is, growing up I never liked Circus Animal cookies. My sister, however, loved them and I could never understand why. They tasted funny to me; I always preferred an Oreo. Thankfully that changed a long time ago and if you are anything like I was and don’t like Circus Animal cookies, these cupcakes will definitely change your mind!
As with the past two cupcakes, check them out here and here, these are vanilla based but with added strawberry yogurt to give the cupcakes even more added flavor! These cupcakes were my favorite of the three and will definitely be made again. Hope you enjoy 🙂
For the cupcakes
- 1 stick butter
- 4 egg whites
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk (or heavy cream or milk)
- 2 Yoplait Strawberry Yogurts
- 1 cup crushed Circus Animal Cookies
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 1 32oz. bag powdered sugar
- 2 tsp clear vanilla extract
- 4 tbls milk (more if needed)
- 2-3 drops of red food coloring (or more depending how pink/red you want)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and baking powdered. Set aside.
- Beat butter for about 30 seconds. Gradually add in sugar.
- Add egg whites and vanilla. Beat until incorporated.
- Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk. Mix in yogurt.
- Using a blender or food processor, crush cookies until they resemble a rough chop. Mix into batter.
- Spoon batter into individual cupcake holders.
- Bake 17-20 minutes. Let cool completely.
- For the frosting, combine all ingredients in mixer and mix until incorporated. Add more milk to thin the frosting or powdered sugar for a thicker frosting.
- Frost as desired and enjoy!