This post is sponsored by Imperial Sugar. I have received sample products for writing this post. All content and opinions are mine.
While I love to garden and have a small container garden on my patio, I think I love coworkers with gardens even more. The best days are when you come in to work to find giant zucchinis and squash with signs that read “Please take me home!” on the break room tables. Someone even went so far this year as to print out recipes to use the zucchini in! That’s when you know they are desperate to get rid of the extra veggies.
In these situations I almost always grab the zucchini, take it home and shred it, and shove it in the freezer to bake with later (or forget about…). This year though, between coworkers and the baseball bat sized squash from my parent’s garden, my freezer was getting full. I knew I needed to do something with it all.
Then along came #Choctoberfest, an excuse to put chocolate in everything. Being the gold sponsor for the event, Imperial Sugar had sent me boxes (yes, plural) of their sugar so I knew I would be baking something delicious with it. I already put chocolate chips in my muffins anyway, but I thought, let’s make the entire muffins chocolate. AND have chocolate chips. Like those giant chocolate Costco muffins that are so delicious.
Unlike the Costco muffins however, these are full of zucchini. But you would never know it! You cannot taste the zucchini at all in this recipe. Which is helpful if you’re trying to sneak some extra vegetables into your children’s snacks and makes you feel less guilty about basically eating a dessert for breakfast yourself. If you’re not much of a chocolate in the morning person (I’ll try not to hold it against you) these loaded breakfast muffins are another great way to use up zucchini.
As mentioned earlier this week, Imperial Sugar and our other #Choctoberfest sponsors are giving away a big prize package to one lucky participant, so make sure you’ve entered the contest! There is also an opportunity for 100 people to win a year’s worth of Imperial Sugar. You really don’t want to miss this!
We hope you are enjoying this event and all of the chocolate goodness, and a big thank you to Imperial Sugar for their support! Scroll down below the recipe to see the rest of the #Choctoberfest posts being added today.
Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins (adapted from Ravenscroft Inn)
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 vegetable (or coconut) oil
- 1 cup Imperial Sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 c grated, drained zucchini
- 1/2 c chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease or line muffin tin with paper liners.
- In large mixing bowl, stir together flour, cocoa, cinnamon, salt, baking soda and powder. Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, oil, sugar and vanilla until well combined.
- Slowly add dry ingredients into wet, stirring just until combined. (mixture will be fairly thick at this point)
- Gently fold in zucchini followed by chocolate chips.
- Fill muffin tins about 3/4 way full and bake for 18-20 minutes, until centers are set.
- Let cool on wire rack, then store in airtight container or freeze for future.