Guys. Have you made your own croutons before? Because you should.
Every few weeks we splurge and buy a nice loaf of bread for dinner, usually if we’re having a hearty pasta dish or a homemade soup. But seeing as there are only two of us, usually the last quarter of that bread goes to waste.
But not anymore! No way Jose. I will forever be making homemade croutons from my extra bread.
A) it takes 10 minutes B) you’re using up leftovers and eliminating food waste and C) THEY’RE SO GOOD.
Seriously. We ate at least half of these croutons just plain, nibbling while we prepped dinner. And we probably would’ve eaten them all if I hadn’t hid the other half in the cupboard out of sight.
Promise me next time you have leftover bread you won’t throw it away? You’ll make croutons out of it? You won’t regret it!
Easy Homemade Croutons
- leftover, slightly stale bread
- olive oil
- garlic powder
- dried oregano and/or basil
- Cut or break bread apart into crouton size pieces. Place on baking tray.
- Drizzle bread with olive oil and toss with salt and herbs.
- Spread in an even layer and bake at 375 for 5 minutes.
- Stir croutons and bake another 5 minutes, until beginning to brown.
- Let cool and store in airtight container.