I have a few confessions to make. First: this is not a Waldorf salad.
But that’s what we call it! I did research and tried to find out what this salad’s real name would be, but no luck. So I’m sticking with the name Waldorf. Sorry for the confusion.
A true Waldorf salad has a mayonnaise sauce and vegetables. This on the other hand, borders on dessert and uses whipped cream. Because mayo is disgusting (insert judgy emoticon face here).
This salad starts out looking healthy, with tons of fruit like apples, bananas, oranges and grapes. Then you add the mini marshmallows and whipped cream and things start getting even better.
My second confession is that I could eat an entire bowl of this. In one sitting. All by myself. Luckily we always make this for Thanksgiving so I’m forced to share. I could tell you I didn’t take bites in between photos, but that would be a lie.
This salad is perfect for potlucks or if you need another quick Thanksgiving side dish. It can also be easily adapted to different tastes. For example my sister went through an anti-banana phase, so we omitted those for a few years. Make this your own!
Happy Thanksgiving, all!
Fruit and Walnut Salad (Waldorf Salad)
- 2 tart apples, diced
- 2 bananas, peeled and sliced
- 1 can (11 oz) mandarin oranges
- 1 c halved grapes
- 1 c mini marshmallows
- 1/2 c walnuts
- 1-2 c whipped cream (enough to cover)
- orange or lemon juice (or juice from mandarin oranges)
- Toss apples and bananas in orange or lemon juice to prevent browning.
- Combine all ingredients in large bowl and stir to combine. Adjust amounts of ingredients to taste.
- Store in refrigerator until serving.