The past month my roommate and I have been taking a cake decorating class (more on that later…), meaning we each have to make a cake and frosting every week for this 8 week class. Meaning we have TWO cakes sitting in our house at all times. While we’ve been giving a lot of it away, can you blame me for not craving any sweets lately?
There is one thing I never get tired of though. And that is carbs. And cheese. Put the two together? I think that’s what heaven tastes like.
These breadsticks are easy peasy too. Make the dough, let rise 10 minutes, roll it out, cut into strips, let rise 15 minutes, then bake! No extensive prep work or prolonged waiting times required. I don’t know about you, but as soon as I’m off work I want to eat dinner, and I don’t want something time consuming either.
Depending on how thin you roll your dough and how you cut it, you can easily get a dozen breadsticks from this recipe. The perfect amount for a meal and some leftovers. Or if your friends are anything like mine, a great addition to girl’s wine night!
Actually, I changed my mind. I think heaven tastes like cheesy carbs and red wine.
Garlic Cheddar Breadsticks (adapted from Six Sister’s Stuff)
- 1 1/2 c warm water
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp yeast
- 3 1/2 c flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 c butter, melted
- 1 c cheddar cheese, shredded
- garlic powder
- black pepper
- Dissolve sugar and yeast into warm water. Let sit 5 minutes.
- Using your hands, mix the flour and salt into the water until a dough forms. Add tiny amounts of water as needed to reach proper consistency. Let sit 10 minutes.
- Roll dough out on a lightly floured surface into a large rectangle.
- Brush the dough with melted butter, then sprinkle with garlic powder, black pepper and cheddar cheese.
- Fold dough in half onto itself length wise (hot dog style).
- Cut into 1 inch strips, twist, and place on greased or parchment lined baking tray. Let sit for 15 minutes.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove from over and brush with remaining melted butter.
- Let cool and enjoy!