I love muffins for breakfast. Sure they’re not as healthy for you as other breakfast options. And yes, sometimes I put enough sugary sweetness into them they’re more like a dessert, but mornings are hard enough as it is. Don’t we deserve a treat for getting out of our cozy beds?
This is why I made these Lemon Crumble Muffins. Because they’re cute. And sweet. A little messy. And absolutely delicious. And most importantly: portable. Because we all know I’m eating breakfast in my car on the way to work every morning.
I hope you’re not tired of my lemon recipes, because you really need these muffins in your life. Or maybe your friends and family need them in theirs. I can promise you they won’t turn these down.
If I omitted the powdered sugar glaze that was in the original recipe does that mean I made these healthy? I’m pretty sure it does. And also lemon = Vitamin C. So doubly healthy. Bonus!
Lemon Crumble Muffins (adapted from Betty Crocker)
- 2/3 c flour
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 butter, melted
- 2 c flour
- 1 tsp soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 c sugar
- 1/2 c vegetable oil
- 1/2 c sour cream
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Mix the topping ingredients in a small bowl, set aside.
- Combine flour, soda and salt in another small bowl and set aside.
- Cream eggs, sugar, and vegetable oil. Mix in sour cream, lemon zest and juice, and vanilla.
- Slowly add in dry ingredients, stirring until combined.
- Fill muffin tins 2/3 full. Top with crumble mixture.
- Bake at 375 for 18-20 minutes, or until golden brown.