If I had planned better, I would have made this recipe prior to Valentine’s Day so you could have made and enjoyed them too… Sorry!
Good thing Nutella can be enjoyed year round! As in, good thing you never need a reason to eat Nutella because it can and should be enjoyed everyday. Ok, maybe not everyday but I definitely will not judge you if you do 🙂
So I am ashamed to admit that I have never made homemade pie crust. Ever. The only time I ever made pie was one Thanksgiving I made pecan pie with a pre-made crust (my least favorite pie) and my grandpa loved it! I think ever since then I’ve considered pecan pie one of my favorites just because I know how much my grandpa loved it.
Steph sent me cookie cutters for Christmas and I have been dying to use them. I decided now was a good time to use the heart shaped cookie cutter and make mini pies. And what better filling for a pie than Nutella! I adapted this crust from Steph’s Make Ahead Pie Crust and boy is her recipe so easy!!
If you are looking for a great, easy pie crust, this is the one for you. I halved her original recipe and added some sugar for extra sweetness, it was Valentine’s Day afterall! These mini pies are delicious and a great anytime of the year! Hope you enjoy 🙂
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 tbls. sugar
- 1 stick butter flavored Crisco
- ice cold water (varries)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt. Using a pastry cutter (or a fork or your hands) crumble the Crisco into the flour mixture, leaving it still clumpy.
- Add water, 1 tbls. at a time, until a dough is formed.
- Roll out dough on a well floured surface and cute out pie pieces with heart cookie cutter.
- One one heart pie piece, add a dollop of Nutella. Spread some egg wash (one egg with about 1 tsp. water, whisked together) on the edges of the heart with the Nutella.
- Place a pie crust heart, with no Nutella, on top of a Nutella’d heart (just made up that word!) and pinch the edges together with a fork. Repeat for all hearts.
- Bake for 17-20 minutes. Let cool and enjoy!