Are you ready for more peaches? You better be! Did you know August is National Peach Month? I totes did, and that’s why I went all peach-crazy this week! Jk…I had no idea. Play along with me and pretend we both knew?
The real reason I can’t stop won’t stop with the peaches is because the BF is out of town and he hates peaches. Not just a “Ehh…peaches aren’t my favorite…” it’s a full blown hatred. I know, I know…I don’t get it either! Since he’s not here I’m hoarding all the peach treats for myself.
I really wanted to make peach muffins, but didn’t know where to start with the base. When this happens I go to my handy dandy binder labeled “Dad’s Recipes”. He has some computer program where he types all his recipes into and prints out recipe cards. I should really do the same! It’s so nice to have the recipes already in the kitchen instead of in cyberspace somewhere. Lo and behold, he already had a recipe for peach muffins in there! Great minds really do think alike (I’m a daddy’s girl if you couldn’t tell).
I know it’s an extra step and takes more time, but baking the peaches before putting them in the batter made all the difference! I’m all for quick and simple, but just trust me. It’s worth it! I ate peach muffins for dinner last night…so I’m practically an expert on the matter.
The day I baked these was an oddly chilly 70 degree day (its been in the 100s!). The cooler weather plus the cinnamon in these muffins had me craving a pumpkin spice latte and wishing for fall. These smell so good baking! I mean…is it too much to ask for college football, crisp mornings, boots and crunchy leaves?!
I guess it’s still July…I’ll try to be patient. It’s also my mom’s birthday today, so HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOOOMMMM!! 🙂 And Happy Wednesday to the rest of you!
- 2 peaches (blanched and sliced)
- 1/2 c crushed bran flake cereal (Bran Buds, Bran Flakes, etc.)
- 1/2 c milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 c sour cream
- 1/4 c butter, melted
- 2/3 c sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 c flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp wheat germ
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Arrange peach slices in single layer on cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes at 350. Chop and set aside.
- Add bran flakes to milk and let stand.
- Beat together egg, sour cream, butter, sugar, salt, lemon juice and vanilla.
- In separate bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, wheat germ and cinnamon.
- Toss peaches with flour mixture.
- Pour bran mixture into wet ingredients. Gently fold in dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Fill muffin tins and bake at 375 for 18-20 minutes.