Seven Layer Bars. Seven Layer Magic Cookie Bars. Magic Bars. It doesn’t matter what you call them. They’re some of the most delicious and easiest bars to make.
I actually never even knew what their name was. I’ve seen them at various parties and cookie swaps over the years, and I always eat them, but I never knew what they were. Guess I was too busy shoveling them in my face to worry about it.
For the layers you start with a graham cracker crust, topped with nuts, all the best baking chips and coconut, and then a can of sweetened condensed milk is poured over the top to bring it all together. It’s a cavity waiting to happen.
1: graham crackers
2: chopped nuts (pecans are my fav)
3: chocolate chips (any kind)
4: butterscotch chips
5: white chocolate chips
6: shredded coconut
7: sweetened condensed milk
There you go. 7 layers of sugary heaven. Make sure you have a glass of milk on hand, because you’re going to need it. They are a sweet and sticky mess and a hit with everyone. I was so excited to see how quick and easy they really are to make, too. It’s always necessary to have those recipes on hand for last minute get togethers, and it seems like I’ve been having a lot of those lately!
Today is my last day of work in Boise and I leave Friday with my mom to start the trek back down to Louisiana. Eek! If posting slows down a little bit for the next couple weeks it’s just because I’m trying to adjust to life in the Bayou. Wish me luck! You can follow my adventures on Instagram, too, if you’re curious how a 5 day road trip with your mother looks 😉
Seven Layer Bars (adapted from Eagle Brand)
- 1 1/2 c graham cracker crumbs (about 1 pack)
- 1/2 c butter, melted
- 1 c chopped pecans
- 1 c chocolate chips
- 1 c butterscotch chips
- 1/2 c white chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 c shredded coconut
- 1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
- Line a 9×13 pan with parchment paper, letting it hang over the edges for easy lifting once cooled.
- Combine graham cracker crumbs and butter with hands, then press evenly into bottom of pan.
- Spread the pecans over the entire graham cracker crust, followed by the chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, white chocolate chips and shredded coconut.
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk evenly over the entire pan.
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes, until the coconut begins to turn golden brown.
- Let cool. Remove the bars from the pan using the parchment paper edges as handles. Cut into indivicual pieces.