I love baking homemade goodies for people for Christmas gifts. I know everyone ends up with piles of cookies and chocolates and candies around the holidays…but I can’t help it. I love baking for people! It seems so much more authentic than just buying them more “stuff”.
I’m not really sure how I decided popcorn was the theme this year. Maybe it was after I discovered how easy it is to make your own microwave popcorn…
You start with a basic caramel corn recipe, spread it all out, sprinkle with marshmallows and graham cracker pieces, and top with melted chocolate. Then break it into pieces and try not to eat it all before you give it away.
This is the crunchy kind of caramel corn and boy is it addicting! I’ll have another version for you next week, and that one will be the chewy kind if you’re into that sort of thing. Happy popping!
S’mores Caramel Corn (adapted from Karo Syrup)
- 1 c unpopped popcorn kernels (or about 12-15 c popped popcorn)
- 1/2 c butter
- 2 c sugar
- 1/2 c karo syrup
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 c mini marshmallows
- 1 c graham cracker pieces
- 1 c chocolate chips
- Pop popcorn using preferred technique. Place in two large mixing bowls, taking care to not leave any unpopped kernels behind.
- Measure out baking soda and set aside. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- To medium saucepan, add butter, sugar, karo syrup, vanilla and salt. Melt ingredients and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Let boil for 5 minutes without stirring.
- Stir baking soda into caramel (mixture will be foamy. Keep stirring!)
- Pour caramel over popcorn, then stir to coat all kernels.
- Spread popcorn evenly over parchment paper. Top with marshmallows and graham crackers
- Melt chocolate chips and pour over popcorn.
- Once chocolate has set, break into pieces. Store in airtight container.