There’s a new ice cream shop in Sacramento called Cornflower Creamery and it’s about two blocks from my work. Guys, this is a dangerous thing. I may or may not have gone there and just ate ice cream for lunch one day… it was so worth it! (This is also why I have signed up for a boxing gym so when I get the urge to eat ice cream for lunch again, because it most definitely will happen, I won’t feel guilty about it!)
You would do the same too if you’ve tried their Strawberries & Cream flavor. It is AMAZING!
I don’t think I’ve ever ordered strawberry flavored ice cream before Cornflower Creamery. I was one of those people who, when presented with a neopolitan ice cream sandwich, would eat the chocolate and vanilla portions and leave the strawberry portion. I just wasn’t into it.
This ice cream definitely changed my mind and I had to recreate it at home. If you follow our blog regularly, you’ll have noticed I try a lot of Joy the Baker’s recipes. Her blog is awesome and her recipes delicious! This Buttermilk Ice Cream was no exception! I made a few tweaks to the original recipe and omitted the bourbon (even though I do enjoy drinking it)!
The best thing about this recipe is that it is fool proof. Honestly, this is the easiest ice cream recipe I’ve ever used! So go, go make this now! You won’t be disappointed!
- 1 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp. vanilla
- 1 1/4 cup buttermilk
- sliced strawberries
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine cream, sugar, and vanilla until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and add sliced strawberries. Refrigerate overnight. (I refrigerated the mixture for two nights)
- Add the buttermilk and stir until combined. Churn ice cream according to manufacturers directions.
- Place in freezer-safe container and freeze until firm.
- Enjoy! We topped ours with more sliced strawberries and a chocolate sauce drizzle!