About two blocks from where I work is a soup place called Munteen’s. Everyday they have about 10 or more different soups that change daily and they are all delicious! You can sample as many as you like before you decided which soup to get that day. Their tortilla soup is life changing and I’ve never had a cheesy potato soup before but I can’t imagine there’s one that tastes better than the one served at Munteen’s. So if you’re ever in Sacramento, stop by this joint for lunch. You will not be disappointed!
My sister was having a soup contest at work and asked if I wanted to submit one (technically she would be submitting it but I would get the prize). Obviously I said yes and I tried channeling my inner Munteen to make a tasty soup to enter. Behold this Tortellini Tomato Soup w/Italian Sausage.
Super easy to make and so tasty, this soup is a winner… In my mind. Unfortunately we ran out of soup for the actual contest and did not win but my sis said multiple people asked for the recipe. See, it’s a crowd pleaser! Go ahead, try it for yourself. You won’t be disappointed!
recipe from Yellow Bliss Road
- olive oil
- 1 lbs. Italian sausage (you could use ground turkey)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 32oz box of vegetable or chicken broth
- salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1 package fresh tortellini
- 2 large handfuls of spinach
- In medium skillet, coat pan with olive oil. Add onion and garlic. Cook until onions become translucent.
- Add ground Italian sausage. Cook until done.
- In crockpot, add crushed tomatoes, broth and spices. Add meat and stir.
- Add tortellini and spinach.
- Turn on high about an hour to an hour and a half before serving. (Soup can be made on the stove and eaten right away. The crockpot was easier since it needed to be transported and heated without access to a stove.)
- Enjoy with grated Parmesan and fresh bread!