In my defense, I actually made this cake for St. Patrick’s Day, I just didn’t post it in time. Clearly since it’s June… but hey, we can look at it like I’m just very ahead of schedule for next St. Patrick’s Day??
I’m a whiskey fan! I’m not some whiskey connoisseur/snob. There are a lot of whiskeys I haven’t tried but I know what I like and my whiskey collection at home has grown quite nicely! So when I saw Well Plated’s Whiskey Chocolate Cake, I just knew I would like it. I mean, whiskey and chocolate- what’s not to love!
This cake is RICH, let me tell you! Normally I can inhale an embarrassing amount of chocolate cake in one sitting, or by eating a sliver at a time over the course of an evening. (It’s a family thing…) That is not the case for this cake! This is for the true chocolate lover and you really only do need a sliver.
So do yourself a favor and don’t wait until next St. Patrick’s Day to make this cake, make it now!
- 7 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, cubbed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 5 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (heaping 1/2 cup)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup Irish Whiskey (I used Tullamore Dew but you can use whatever you have on hand. If you don’t have whiskey, you can use cold coffee!)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease 9″ springform pan.
- In microwave safe bowl, melt butter and chocolate in 30 second increments, stirring in between, until melted and smooth. Transfer to mixer.
- Slowly add sugar and salt. Incorporate eggs one at a time- mixing completely in between.
- Add the cocoa powder, vanilla and whiskey and mix until combined.
- Pour into pan and bake for 18-20 minutes. Don’t over bake, cake will become dry!
- Let cake cool completely then add glaze. Let sit in refrigerate for about an hour then enjoy!
For Glaze: In microwave safe bowl, melt 4 ounces of dark chocolate and 2 tablespoons of butter in increments of 30 seconds, stirring in between, until melted and smooth. Stir in whiskey. Pour over cake!