If your Pinterest feed is anything like mine, you’ve seen protein and energy bites all over it for months. Kelly made a haystack version of them and my fiancé even got an email from Golf Digest with a recipe for some. As usual, I’m behind the times and just now got around to making some.
I have a horrible sweet tooth, so even though these bites are “healthy”…I need them to taste like they’re not. You also know I have an obsession with all things peanut butter, which is why I decided to go the pb + chocolate route.
I love one or two of these as an afternoon snack. They’re sweet enough I feel like I’m getting a treat (think like a no bake cookie) but the protein helps make sure I stay satisfied until dinner. Not to mention they’re super quick and easy to whip up! These will definitely be staying in the regular recipe rotation.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Bites
- 1 c oatmeal
- 1/2 c unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 c chopped nuts (I used almonds)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/4 c cocoa powder
- 1/2 c protein powder
- 2/3 c peanut butter
- 1/3 c honey
- In large mixing bowl, combine oatmeal, coconut, chopped nuts, chia seeds, cocoa powder and protein powder.
- In microwave safe bowl, heat peanut butter and honey for about 15-20 seconds until it starts to melt. Stir together.
- Pour melted peanut butter and honey mixture over the dry ingredients. Stir until combined (I found it easiest to mix by hand here).
- *note* If mixture is too dry, add a little more honey or peanut butter; if too wet, add a little more oatmeal
- Roll into bite size balls and place on parchment lined baking tray. Refrigerate until firm.
- Transfer bites to an airtight container and keep refrigerated.