Let me start out with a confession: I originally only made these brownies because I had leftover caramel and pretzels from the Everything Cookie Bars. But, they resulted in the best brownies I have ever made!
Now, there is a time and place for a boxed brownie mix. I can admit that. However this is not that time or that place. You need these homemade brownies because they are rich, and thick, and fudgy chocolate deliciousness.
I don’t think I need to explain the perfection that is the salty sweet combo between the pretzels and chocolate, and the caramel adds that extra layer of sweetness.
No surprise, these brownies didn’t last long. I took a batch to work and the majority were gone before lunch! Trust me. Homemade brownies are worth the extra bit of effort and the addition of caramel and pretzels mean these babies are irresistible.
Caramel Pretzel Brownies (adapted from Turtle Brownies)
- 3/4 c flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 c cocoa powder
- 1/2 c butter
- 1 c sugar
- 1 c chocolate chips
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1 c chopped pretzels + whole pretzels for topping
- 1 c caramel bits (I used Kraft)
- In mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder and cocoa powder. Set aside.
- In small sauce pan, melt butter, sugar and chocolate chips, stirring continuously.
- Transfer ingredients to mixer and beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients and stir until combined.
- Mix in chopped pretzels and caramel bits by hand.
- Pour into a greased (or parchment lined) 9×9 baking pan.
- Press extra pretzels into top of brownies.
- Bake at 350 for ~20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Let cool completely, then cut into squares.