If you’ve been following along here for awhile, you’ll know that my husband hates peaches (I still am appalled). You’ll also know that I, on the other hand, LOVE peaches. And every time he goes out of town in the summer I use it as my excuse to put peaches in everything: peach muffins, peach crumble, peach freezer jam and my all time favorite peach cobbler! There’s currently an offer through work with local farms and you can buy 20lb boxes of fruit and I’m seriously considering getting all those peaches just for me. Who am I kidding…I’m totally doing it.
I hate to waste food, so when I had leftover mascarpone cheese from making Tiramisu Ice Cream I began looking for a way to use up the extra. After one quick search on Pinterest I remembered something I have been wanting to try for ages: GRILLED FRUIT. With a mascarpone cream dollop of course.
Before I was left to fend for myself for 10 days, I made sure to get proper instructions on how to use the grill (how has it taken me 28 years to learn how to BBQ?!) and anxiously awaited my solitary dessert night.
I feel a little silly even calling this a recipe. It couldn’t be easier! You cut your peaches in half and put them on the grill, then while they cook you whip a little heavy cream into the mascarpone cheese, add spices…and voila! You’re done!
I knew these would be good, I mean…how could they not be. But I failed to realize just how good they would be. The peaches are warm and soft from the grill and the heat just begins to melt the mascarpone cream, which is sweet yet tangy at the same time. You could even take it one step further and drizzle honey over the tops, if you really wanted to get carried away.
Not only are these peaches quick and easy to put together, they look elegant and time consuming. And those are my favorite kinds of desserts! The ones you keep in your back pocket for a picnic or dinner party, that will have your guests “ooh-ing” and “ahh-ing” over your creation. Add in the fact these don’t require turning on the oven and I think that makes them the most perfect summer dessert.
Grilled Peaches with Mascarpone Cream (adapted from Williams – Sonoma)
- 4 whole ripe peaches, cut in half and pitted
- 1/2 c mascarpone cheese
- 2 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon (more for topping)
- olive oil or melted butter
- Heat grill to medium heat and make sure grill grates are well greased (*peaches stick easily)
- Brush peaches with olive oil or melted butter and place flesh side down. Grill for 4-5 minutes, until grill marks have formed.
- Brush outside of peaches with remaining oil and flip over, grilling another 2-3 minutes until peaches have softened.
- Meanwhile, mix together the mascarpone cheese, heavy cream and cinnamon until well combined and fluffy.
- Remove peaches from grill and top with a dollop of mascarpone cream. Sprinkle with additional cinnamon as desired.