Happy St. Patrick’s Day! Last year we gave you an Irish Gold Cocktail and Irish Soda Bread. Then Kelly actually went to Ireland and came back with Irish Brown Bread and a Hot Whiskey drink. You have tons of Irish options, but do you see what we’re missing here? Dessert!
I made Brown Eyed Baker’s Irish Car Bomb cupcakes a few years back and they were TO.DIE.FOR. But…they were pretty time consuming. I’ve been feeling awfully lazy in the kitchen lately, so I decided to forgo the Guinness and Bailey’s and just stick with the Jameson.
These cupcakes are rich: moist and oh so chocolatey with that extra added flavor from the whiskey. Any whiskey or bourbon would work, but I stuck with Jameson to keep with the Irish tradition.
What are your guys’ plans tonight? I’m not a huge St. Patty’s fan, but I’m sure we’ll end up celebrating in some way. Even if it’s just by eating these cupcakes.
Whiskey Chocolate Cupcakes (adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction)
- 1/2 c butter
- 2 oz semi-sweet baking chocolate
- 1/2 c cocoa powder
- 3/4 c flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1/4 c brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 c buttermilk
- 1/4 c whiskey (I used Jameson)
- Melt butter and chocolate in microwave safe bowl, stir until smooth. Set aside.
- In small bowl, combine cocoa powder, floud, soda, powder and salt. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, beat eggs, sugars and vanilla together until combined.
- Stir in the cooled chocolate mixture and the whiskey.
- Add half the flour mixture and stir, half the buttermilk and stir. Repeat, stirring just until combined.
- Pour into lined cupcake tins and bake 18-20 mins at 350, until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let cool completely, then frost as desired.