Happy Cupcake Week on Long Distance Baking! You read that right, it’s cupcake week here at LDB and we couldn’t be more excited! We have 3 yummy cupcake variations this week, starting with Classic Vanilla.
The idea for cupcake week came about when I was asked to bake cupcakes for my cousin’s first birthday. I was so excited! I ran to Hobby Lobby and found cute cupcake holders, toppers and pink and white candied pearls.
All the cupcakes this week will follow this Classic Vanilla recipe from Better Homes and Garden magazine with just a few variations. This magazine on cakes has been my go to for cake and cupcake recipes. Every recipe I’ve tried has been great!
These cupcakes are super easy to whip up and you can easily replace the buttermilk with heavy cream or milk if you have that on hand. Hope you enjoy them and be sure to check back on Wednesday for another flavor!
For the cupcakes
- 1 stick butter
- 4 egg whites
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk (or heavy cream or milk)
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 1 32oz. bag powdered sugar
- 2 tsp clear vanilla extract
- 4 tbls milk (more if needed)
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and baking powdered. Set aside.
- Beat butter for about 30 seconds. Gradually add in sugar.
- Add egg whites and vanilla. Beat until incorporated.
- Alternately add flour mixture and buttermilk.
- Spoon batter into individual cupcake holders.
- Bake 17-20 minutes. Let cool completely.
- For the frosting, combine all ingredients in mixer and mix until incorporated. Add more milk to thin the frosting or powdered sugar for a thicker frosting.
- Frost as desired and enjoy!